Of all the potential threats to humanity that AI presents, who would have imagined that autonomously creating its own language would be one of them? But there are signs* that this is happening, elevating the possibility of AI eluding the control of humans quite soon. Just one more thing to lose sleep over, eh?
There is
talk of slowing down the advance of computing power, but a cursory review of precedents
shows just how unlikely it is that the genie of technology can be put back in
its bottle. Those with vested interests will never willingly attempt it, while
those few individuals who keep up a dogged resistance by refusing to adopt new formats
or devices are swimming against a strong tide. I made the acquaintance of just
such a person recently.
We met at a
social event and, since she works at the local boatyard and walks to and from
work, we sometimes pass in the street. She told me that she was facing eviction
from her flat because the managing agents would or could not cope with her refusal
to have a mobile phone and bank online. She is not alone in taking this stance
– I know a few other people who are similarly minded – but this person is
employed as a bookkeeper and must surely be using a computer with software
linked to the internet. I would ask her about that, but for the fact that she tends
to rant and proselytise, one-way communication techniques that I have limited
patience to endure, especially on the street.
I get that she
might object to the ways in which the internet intrudes into one’s personal
life, but the real question I would like an answer to is this: where do people
like her draw the line? At what point in their lives do they say, “That’s it! I
adopted colour TV and email, but I’m not having any more mod cons!” The thing
is, if you opt out, you are effectively condemned to live the rest of your life
somewhere in the past. Not that the past is necessarily a bad place to be –
some people were quite happy back then – but the future is where we’re all
bound.
Last week, I
came across a scrap of history I wasn’t expecting. On a brief visit to North
Devon, we wound up on the Taw estuary, between Barnstaple and Appledore, at Fremington
Quay. Although I’m no stranger to the area, I had no idea of its industrial
past. The quay, now defunct, was used for exporting clay and importing coal.
There used to be a railway station and lines that connected this relatively
obscure place to the rest of the country.
The last
ship docked there in 1964. The substantially built quay remains, as does the
station, now a café, while the lines were ripped up about twenty-five years ago
and replaced by a leisure path. Some say that reinstatement of a railway is
under consideration. Meanwhile, walkers and cyclists make hay.
The riverbank
near Fremington was co-opted by the Industrial Revolution. I don’t suppose the
local peasantry saw that coming. For the hundred years of its life as a
commercial quay, I don’t suppose the workers envisaged an end to that operation.
For the current generation of leisure users, it must be difficult to imagine it
becoming anything other than what it is. But we are all stuck in the middle of
transition, whether we know and acknowledge it or not.
Some of our
lives may span only one era, but there is no end point, no stage at which
humanity can say, “Here we are and here we stay”. Change will come at any time.
What’s more, it can happen a lot more quickly these days. Perhaps it’s better
to adopt and adapt, try to stay abreast of developments, including AI
gobbledegook.
*Research from ‘Emergence’, a New York-based research lab.
No comments:
Post a Comment