There’s a phrase, ‘a woman of a certain age’, which I understand to be a euphemism employed to avoid the indelicacy of stating frankly that she is past her physical prime. Whether it’s still widely used I can’t be sure, but it comes to mind when I reach for a description of several women with whom I have recently had brief interactions. If pressed, I would estimate their ages as being in the sixth or seventh decades, ‘old lady’ territory from the perspective of a youngster, but near contemporary from mine.
During my
recent solo expedition in our campervan (named ‘Bluey’, for its livery), I came
to realise that, even though it is 23 years old, our vehicle, far from being scrapworthy,
is approaching the point at which the description ‘vintage’ might be considered
appropriate. At the entrance to the car park at Scotney Castle, there were two
volunteer attendants. I was explaining to the teenaged boy that I had not
reserved a space, when his apparent supervisor, an ‘older’ woman came over,
barged him aside and smilingly reassured me that I was welcome in the overflow
field. “Just turn right by that hedge. Nice van, by the way”, she said.
The very
next day, intrigued by a roadside sign that read Off the Beaten Track, I
turned into an extensive, leafy compound to discover a sprawling, scruffy
shopping complex of shacks and yards in the indie/alternative/brocante styles.
It being late in the day, everything was closing, but the person in charge of
locking up, a woman of a certain age, enthused over the project and insisted on
showing me around. “Come back tomorrow, when it’ll be busy”, she said. I replied that I might and reached for my key.
“I like your van”, she added, as I climbed in.
When, later,
I told my Other Half about the compliments Bluey had received, she immediately
put a different spin on things. “So, you’ve been picking up old ladies then?”
More
recently, in the company of a couple of friends, the four of us boarded the
Cremyll ferry for the eight-minute crossing over the river Tamar. The open prow
is fitted out with bench seats that are coveted in fine weather, such as
pertained at the time. The other three bagged a section, leaving me with not
quite enough space between them and a woman of a certain age (and her backpack).
“Excuse me”, I said to her, “any chance you might budge up a bit?” She shifted
and, as I parked myself beside her, she said, “A slight chance”, which I took
as a compliment on the slimness of my hips.
Whether or
not that was her meaning, it was certainly an invitation to a conversation
between the two of us. After the usual niceties, she told me about herself. She
had seen The Odyssey and it had reawakened her interest in the classics
(all of which she had read). She also told me where she lived and that she had
to hurry off to her book club as soon as we disembarked. And, in what might
have been a last attempt at a pick-up line, she told me her name.
Walking home,
my OH made capital out of this and the other incidents to amuse our friends
with her theory that I am in the habit of picking up “old ladies”, as she put
it.
That same
day, I overheard a conversation between two, let’s say, ‘retired’ women who
were walking just ahead of us. They were talking about the recently introduced
electric scooters that can be hired around the city. “I hear they can be quite
dangerous”, said one. “Yes”, said the other and, after a brief pause, “Mind
you, I must admit, I’d quite like to have a go on one”.
Now, there’s
a game old bird, I thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment